Ads by AdGenta.com
Ads by AdGenta.com

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Touch wood

We were once familiar with a tiny black cat which had the most beautiful green eyes. Since then, I've had a fondness for black cats. Number thirteen seems to have a vaguely positive aura about it, as does a lone magpie. Old wives tales are also more funny and entertaining than scary. But despite my bravado, there are some ridiculous traits that make me ridicule myself.

The first one involves eyelashes. I was taught by friends that a fallen eyelash was to be placed on the back of the left hand. Then, with shut eyes, one has to make a wish before blowing the lash away. The first time I must have aspired for something simple, like a glittering pencil or a toy bus. When that was granted, it became a regular habit. I had a cousin who used to tug at eyelashes, pulling apart whole bunches. Even now, I swipe them with my fingers when I'm particularly tense and want something desperately.

The most common one is that of the throat. Ages ago, my sister warned a wide-eyed me, "Always blow at your hands after touching the neck, otherwise you will have a terrible goiter." Long after she forgot it and I studied about iodine deficiency, the practice continues. Most people I see do follow this, though there are people like my uncle who snort instead; because they find it hilarious.

A special ritual of mine involves punching the pillow before bed. The number of time I smack the poor pillow is the time I wish to wake up. If I have to wake up at one a.m. to listen to a program, I punch it once. And I do wake up on the dot, because of an amazingly pliant body clock. But of course my pillow smugly takes the credit.

If you are a youngster, and particularly a girl, then you know what is to be done if two of you happen to say the same thing simultaneously. You have to touch the nearest wood surface, tap it twice and kiss your fingers for good luck. My sister, being extremely sarcastic of this method, satirizes," Why don't you sing along with a song and bang the table? That way we'll have good luck enough to last your life."

There is a friend of mine who may be laughing outrageously one moment, but stops abruptly and mutters in a grim tone,"Stop laughing. You'll have to cry for this later. If you laugh once, you have to shed two tears." His ideas, coupled with his ominous appearance, are enough to double us over with laughter.

I was rushing through homework in an empty classroom when I sneezed. Spontaneously, I mumbled,"God bless me." A classmate peeped in," You're acting weird. I believe I was only as weird as all those people who don't cut nails on their birthdays, or refuse to leave the house at twelve midday, or insist on particular clothes for certain days. There are people who won't joke about ghosts around midnight and others who believe that being untruthful with a book in your hand will sap away your knowledge (I am a staunch follower of this one). It is a wide world, as it is.

There is also a concept that one must not talk about anything until it is over and done with, especially if it deals with luck and chance. Right now I am in the middle of trying out a new recipe, but as for its completion - I'd have to touch wood.

By: Richa Bhattarai
Source : Kathmandu Post

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i found this article full of fun and memories. We also used to do same stuffs and we do till now also. So put this article here. Khoja kati garo bhayo... lets not speak...But still happy reading..and NOSTALGIA...